Thursday, December 29, 2005
"You know you will get pregnant now that you are adopting!"
Why does this comment drive me nuts? Why does every Tom, Dick and Harry feel the need to share this sentiment with me? Do they just not know what to say? How about, "That is great, Congratulations!" Instead, I get stories of all the wonderful other couples that have adopted and then get pregnant right after the adoption or right before the adoption. My OBGYN said it to me just yesterday when I told him we were adopting. The receptionist at the OBGYN felt the need to tell me about a friend she has that got pregnant right after the adoption. "You know that is what will happen to you!" ARG!!! This is the very reason that I do not want my co-workers to know we are adopting yet. Yes, I am PMSing but this is becoming my new pet peeve. Why is adoption viewed as second best?

So if I get pregnant right after adopting will I feel some sort of wonderful satisfaction that I have created life? Will I look at my daughter and be able to thank her for granting me the ability to get knocked up? What about those adoptive parents who never get pregnant? Maybe they didn't drink the adoption water that was going around. Next thing you know, adoptions will happen in 3's in the workplace and everyone will adopt at one time, only with the soul mission of becoming pregnant afterwards. Adoption must be the cure to infertility! That must be why we are doing it, right?
Ok, vent over!


1 Comments:

Blogger Ava Baby said...

I was having lunch with a friend not too long ago and commented that many of the adoptive parents on the blogs also have biological children. Her comment to me was "Then why would they adopt?". To say that I was hurt and very put out doesn't begin to tell you how I was feeling. I had a million (not too nice) things that I wanted to say but just said that if she had to ask this then I couldn't begin to explain it to her. She apologized later but I'm sure she still doesn't see what was wrong with her comment.

Good luck with you paperchasing.
Michele
LID 9/26 for Ava
www.mybabyava.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer

Click Here to get this from FreeFlashToys.com!